Hello everyone! I am back here again with another blog post; I am so ecstatic to be back here on my blog writing again!
Today, I am bringing to you one of the great passions of my life–how to give back to your community.
In these trying times, it seems as if everyone is at odds. No matter what social media you look at, there is a debate between individuals on two sides of an argument. The news cycles through story after story of death and destruction. People are more tense than ever before, with simple words turning into daggers and stones.
When I am stressed and frazzled by what I see around me, I turn to my source of happiness–helping others. If each of us put a little extra good in the world, maybe we can drown out some of the darkness.
Still, I understand in this fast paced society that time is limited for the average individual. But believe it or not, there are still plenty of ways to give back that are simple and effective! The first step of revolutionary change begins at our own back door. Without further ado, here are 10 ways to give back to your community!
- Become a DKMS Donor
- DKMS is an organization working to combat and delete blood cancers. One of their main programs is matching people diagnosed with cancer to life saving treatment through stem cell and bone marrow donation. If you are over the age of 18 and in good health, you are eligible to register to become one of the seven million donors on the registry. All you do is verify your eligibility online, register, and swab your cheeks with their free swab kit. Everything is mailed directly to you, and it costs nothing to register or send the kit back. It is one of the simplest ways to make a difference that I have ever seen! For more information on the DKMS Foundation and registry, click here!
- Volunteer to be a social media guru
- Today, the best way to spread the word about a cause is through social media. We all still remember the Ice Bucket Challenge from a couple of years ago which raised over a million dollars to support ALS and has helped researchers become closer to finding the cure than ever before. Who knows, maybe YOU could create the next viral sensation! Whether an animal shelter, a children’s center, or a food bank, increasing an organizations awareness in the mediaverse can only help their cause! So, find an organization you are passionate about and see if there is anything you can do to lend a virtual hand!
- Help a local children’s group with an activity
- Whether it is through the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts, YMCA, or Boys & Girls Club, organizations are always looking for adult mentors to show their skills to the next generation! During my time in Girl Scouts, I learned how to spin yarn, knit, entrepreneurial skills, and many other things during my time in the Girl Scouts! This is because amazing people volunteered their time to teach us skills that they are passionate about. So, if you would like to teach kids how to paint, take better photographs, public speaking skills, or anything else you have in your repertoire, contact a local troop or group and see what you can do!
- Get involved in places you already frequent
- If you are a frequent visitor to a certain church, club, pr organization, see if there is something you can get involved with there! At church, see if there is something you can offer to the youth. If you take a child to sports, see if they need any help fundraising to improve the field or court. See if your local food bank has an item they are asking for during the month and add it to your shopping cart. There is a chance to lend a hand right around the corner!
- Bake/cook for your neighbors/coworkers
- One of my favorite things to do is bake. It is just a fun, crafty activity and you get delicious baked goods at the end! For the past month or so, I have tried my hand at making a few recipes that have turned out pretty successfully! If you are anything like me, maybe make a little extra in your batch and offer it to someone on your block, at your workplace, or in your building. You never know how that could make their day!
- Offer a free night of babysitting
- Going along with the last one, if you know anyone with kids, offer to watch them for free of charge for a night! Adults often get caught up in their lives and kids and need some time to themselves. So, by offering to babysit their kids for a bit, it gives them some time for themselves or each other. In addition, it gives you the chance to spend time with kids if that is your passion! It is a win win for everyone!
- Become a tutor
- If you have skill for a certain subject, offer to tutor kids at a local school or children’s center! Education is one of our most valuable weapons. Sometimes, that one-on-one attention can be the difference for a child to succeed in a course. Help make children passionate about learning again!
- Be a mentor
- Being a mentor to young people is one of the best ways to give back. The youth are the future of our nation, so by providing them your knowledge about the world, you can be the step towards being a better tomorrow. Getting involved in day camps and children’s programs is an amazing way to get that firsthand experience at being a positive role model for a child. If you are involved in a career, you can become a professional mentor to high school or college people who are looking to further their professional endeavors. Everyone has to start somewhere, and how cool would it be to say you were the mentor to the first female president?
- Show off your artistic skills
- If you are a talented painter, scuplture artist, sewist, or other type of artist, see if you can provide your skill to spruce up an area in need of some color! Hospitals, parks, and community areas are always in need of murals, paintings, and drawings. If you see an area that needs change, contact someone at that organization and see how you can help! In addition, collecting lots of small art pieces (perhaps from a classroom or community center) are perfect for hanging up in community areas or a senior center! Art can bring happiness to anyone, so share it with the world!
- Random Acts of Kindness
- Of all the ways on this list, this one is probably my favorite. You never know the effect that even a small act of kindness can have on a person. Whether that is holding open the door for someone, paying a compliment, paying for the coffee of someone behind you, leaving a nice note for the mailman, or even just posting positive pictures on social media, you have the ability to make change anywhere at any time.
That is it for this list folks! I have so many more ways to give back, so I will make a follow up if this post is popular! Feel free to share it with your friends and family on social media. It is the grassroots movement of people that makes change.
To end this, I have a quote from Audrey Hepburn, “You have two hands, one for helping yourself, and the other for helping others.”
Go out in the world and show your strength by giving. While we can’t change everything, we can all change something.
Until next time.