Congratulations! You have the materials and instructions to sew your very own monster doll! Just follow the steps below and you will have your new friend in no time.
- 1 large piece of fabric (body)
- 2 matching fabric strips (arms)
- 1 rectangular fabric (hair)
- 1 oval shape fabric (nose)
- 2 googly eyes
- Fiberfill or stuffing (not included)
- Needle (not included)
- Embroidery Thread (not included)
- Glue (not included)
- Right Side: The side you want facing out when the project is complete
- Wrong Side: The side you want facing in when the project is complete
- Running Stitch: Click here to learn how to do it
- Whip Stitch: Click here to learn how to do it
- Fasten Off: Click here to learn how to do it
- Thread your needle and tie a knot at the end of the thread.
- Leaving a finger’s width between the top of the fabric and the start point of the nose, sew on the nose using a running stitch on the right side. Fasten off and snip the excess thread.
- Fold your fabric with right sides together. Fold the arm strips in half. Sandwich the arms where you want them, with the loops inside the right sides of the fabric.
- Whip stitch the two longer sides together, including the arms, leaving the top of the doll open.
- Turn the doll back right side out.
- Stuff your doll with your chosen stuffing.
- Fold down a finger’s width of the top of the doll into the inside so that all raw edges are inside.
- Begin sewing a whip stitch until you are 1/3 of the way across the top.
- Once 1/3 across, fold the hair fabric in half and sandwich the raw edges in between the top of the doll.
- Sew a straight stitch across the length of the hair.
- Once finished sewing the hair, continue with a whip stitch until the end. Fasten off.
- Without cutting into your doll, use the edge of the scissors to cut the hair into individual strands.
- Glue on the eyes. Congrats! You have a doll!
Post a picture of your creation to show your support for military children everywhere using the hashtag #dollsformilitarychildren!